Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How I Got to Page #1 by Mistake


I thought this was kind of interesting and at the same time it may help some new people out.
I found a keyword phrase that had about 1,900 searches a month. As an example “why do birds fly” (not my actual phrase). I made a title like “Birds Fly: Why do Birds Fly?” and wrote a short article. I added the article to an existing Blogger Blog. I pinged it then set it up in my favorite link builder. Good to go, right?
Here’s where the mistake came in…
When I checked it a couple days later, I found out I had entered the target URL in my Linker with a missing hyphen. Oh SHI#!!! It was already building links to the wrong URL. I quickly went to Blogger and found the name for my original blog was now available without the hyphen. So I grab it, copy and pasted the exact article from the old blog to the new blog. I made the keyword phrase (3 times in the article) link to the new post and added two new links to the old blog (not to the same article). Then I pinged it.
Remember now, this is a brand new Blogger blog that only has one post on it and it is:
#1 – for the full article title in quotes (163 comps)
#4 – for the full article title without quotes (31,600,000 comps)
#7 – for the keyword phrase with quotes (407,000 comps)
#10 – for the keyword phrase without quotes (3,830,000 comps)
Kind of makes you think twice about things like duplicate content, quantity of content, the age of sites and free blogs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment